Dear Amy,
UVa instituted pay for printing at the beginning of the fall semester.

I cannot give you all the exact specifications, but I will tell you
what I can, and if you need more information we can continue off-line.

We charge $.10 per b & w copy; $1.00 per color copy. Setting up the
printing was done through the Library, Instructional Technology
Computing, and Printing and Copying Services. Students may use their
IDs (which can be used as cash cards) or cash cards against which
charges are put.

I do not know what the software is, but the system is maintained by
Printing and Copying Services, who sends someone to the Libraries to
check machines daily.

Once students got used to the idea of paying for printing, they
adjusted quite well. And we have indeed saved tons of paper.

Ann Whiteside

-------------------
> Our Library currently does not charge for computer printing, which
has
> translated into a great deal of expense and waste. We are
considering
> charging, and I would be interested to know how other libraries
handle
> this. Any answers to the following would be appreciated, as well as
> general advice/comments:
>
> *How much do you charge for black and white copies? color copies?
> *Do you use a venda-card (or similar) system?
> *What software do you use, and would you recommend it?
> *Was the system installed and/or maintained by an IT person, or
library
> staff?
> *Are there any problems, annoyances, complaints, etc. with your
> system?
>
> Thanks, as always,
> Amy
>

> Amy Schofield
> Reference Librarian
> Adam and Sophie Gimbel Library
> Parsons School of Design
> 212-229-5587

> Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at:

Ann Whiteside
Director, Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
Past President, VRA