This is the final update regarding the ALA/CLA librarians joint conference -
         it is a go.

-----Original Message-----
From: Spalding, Helen H.
To: ACRL Leads
Sent: 5/2/03 6:14 PM
Subject: [ACRLEADS:2581] ALA Annual Conference to remain in Toronto

For Immediate Release
May 2, 2003

ALA Annual Conference to remain in Toronto

(Chicago) After lengthy discussions and consultation with international
and national health officials about the occurrence of severe acute
respiratory syndrome (SARS), the American Library Association (ALA)
Executive Board voted unanimously to keep the 2003 Annual Conference in
Toronto, June 19-25.

"This decision has been reached following the assurance of leading
health officials who inform us that it is safe for our members,
exhibitors and guests to visit Toronto," said ALA President Maurice J.
(Mitch) Freedman. "We take the occurrence of SARS in Toronto very
seriously and have carefully considered all options and opinions before
choosing to stay."

The Executive Board decision followed an announcement from the World
Health Organization (WHO) that it was lifting the travel advisory for
Toronto. WHO Director-General Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland cited three
changes in Toronto over the last week: the magnitude of probable SARS
cases has decreased; 20 days have passed since the last case of
community transmission occurred; and no new cases in other parts of the
world have been linked to Toronto. The full advisory can be found at

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not
advised against travel to Toronto. Its April 22 interim travel alert
encouraged travelers to observe precautions like frequent hand-washing
and avoiding health care settings
(). The CDC reports that
all cases in Toronto have been linked to an original index case, and
spread has been through close person-to-person contact. SARS
transmission in Toronto has been limited to a small number of hospitals,
households, and specific community settings, according to the CDC.

"We are urging all travelers to use common sense measures to protect
themselves from any infectious disease, and first among those measures
is, of course, hand hygiene or careful washing of soap and water," said
CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding at a news conference last week.
Gerberding has urged continued vigilance in the United States, where
there have been 220 suspected cases of SARS, and in Canada.

The ALA Annual Conference is the world's largest and most comprehensive
library conference and exhibition. Drawing more than 25,000 librarians,
educators, writers, publishers and special guests, the conference
includes more than 2,000 meetings, discussion groups and programs on
topics affecting libraries. This year marks the first joint conference
with the Canadian Library Association (CLA) in more than 30 years.

"This is a decision based on information - authoritative medical opinion
- and rationality - two of the values of the library profession," said
CLA President Wendy Newman. "This is a proud moment for the North
American library community."

Registration for the 2003 Annual Conference is up substantially compared
to last year. As of April 30, registrations stands at 9,287, compared to
6,783 last year. Registrations continued to come in while the earlier
WHO travel advisory was in effect.

"I would like to reassure you that the risk of SARS in the general
population is extremely low, and extensive control measures are in place
to prevent any further spread of the illness," said Dr. Sheela V.
Basrur, Toronto Medical Officer of Health.

"We appreciate the fact that Toronto representatives shared our primary
focus on the health and safety of visitors to Toronto and that they
answered our questions and addressed our concerns openly and frankly,"
said ALA Executive Director Keith Michael Fiels. "This has been a
difficult set of circumstances for everyone, and we are grateful for the
patience and support of our members, exhibitors and the Canadian Library
Association."

"The Executive Board has strived for the most comprehensive discussion,
and we're pleased with the process," Freedman said. "There continues to
be a lot of enthusiasm for this joint conference, and I am looking
forward to meeting with our Canadian colleagues in Toronto."

The ALA also has extended its advance registration and cancellation
deadlines. ALA members and guests can register at the early-bird rate
through June 13, and cancellations will be accepted without penalty
until May 16. For more information, please visit the "Events and
Conferences" section of the ALA Web site, then click 2003 Annual
Conference and "registration."

Please visit the ALA Web page for frequent updates on 2003 Annual
Conference programming and special events, or call the ALA Conference
information line at 1-800-545-2433; then press 4 at the prompt. A list
of frequently asked questions also is available online.

--
PAULA EPSTEIN
Co-ordinator of Library Outreach