Dear Collective Wisdom,

I am trying to track down the following to purchase, borrow, or
obtain a photocopy facsimile.

The following footnote is taken from an essay by Alan Sekula that
appeared in Lew Thomas's Photography and Language (1976). In the
footnote Sekula refers to exhibitions held at the Long Beach Museum
of Art, I am guessing in 1975 or 1976, by the photographers Fred
Lonidier and Philip Steinmetz:

"This article originally appeared in a catalogue accompanying a pair
of one-person exhibitions at the Long Beach Museum of Art: Fred
Lonidier's Health and Safety Game and Philip Steinmetz's Somebody's
Making a Mistake. David Ross, the museum's director of television and
film, curated the exhibition. Early on, the decision was made to
produce an exhibition catalog that worked against the high art fetish
of limited 'quality reproduction'.  That is, the catalogue's form
(newsprint, lots of critical text) and presentation (it was both used
as an exhibition announcement and was available for free at the
museum) were intended polemically. Following Walter Benjamin, these
artists see the political value of photography in its reproducability
and it its "bracketing" with speech or text." (Sekula, in Thomas
1976, p.14)

I am trying to pin down the actual dates of these exhibitions and
find a copy of the exhibition catalog referred to in the footnote. I
suspect it is not a book, per se, but some sort of folded
newsprint-type flyer (oversize?) that would have been mailed out.
This is for my personal research on American photography in the 1970s.

Regards to all,

Peter Blank

Peter P. Blank                        Phone: (312) 443-3665
Head, Reader Services                 FAX: 312.443.0964
Ryerson & Burnham Libraries           [log in to unmask]
Art Institute of Chicago
111 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL  60603