The following is from the first meeting of the Electronic Resources
Discussion Group of Arlis/NY, which was held last November 15, 2002:

"Catherine Cooney asked the participants for information on electronic
auction resources since she is searching for ones that would be suitable for
the Marquand Library of Art and Archaeology at Princeton University. A
discussion of Artnet.com, Artprice.com, Artfact.com, and the Art Sales Index
followed.

"It was agreed that Artnet.com was the best for image access since many of
the other databases do not include an extensive amount of images. Angela
Graven brought to everyone's attention that Artnet.com offers monthly usage
reports for your account and now offers IP address restriction.

"Artfact.com was mentioned as an important resource since it is the only
database that covers decorative arts. Graven mentioned that Artfact.com is
good for decorative arts but is weak in covering fine arts. Many
participants noted the difficulty of retrieving accurate results in
Artfact.com due to the cumbersome search interface.

"Graven also mentioned that Art Sales Index has the most comprehensive
coverage going back to the 1920s for Christie's and Sotherby's.

"Artprice.com was discussed for its comprehensive coverage. Its drawbacks
were mentioned as being a clunky interface and no images. It is noted of
offering access to biographical and signature information for select
artists."

I hope that that group does not mind me posting these notes to the entire
list. I found them useful, and I hope that others will also find them so.

William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives
The Newark Museum
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Telephone: (973) 596-6625
Fax: (973) 642-0459
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

The Newark Museum's funding is in jeopardy! Please visit our Web site at
www.newarkmuseum.org for more information as to how you can help!