Hello!

I have been asked to summarize the responses to my question on the importance of art.  Well, I have to admit to being a little red in the face because as soon as I got them and forwarded them on to the staff wanting the information I deleted them from my e-mail.  So, what follows is what I was able to find in any notes I took and in looking through what the staff member had.  I apologize in advance if I have missed anyone’s response.  I appreciated them all and next time I will save the responses and be ready for any requests for a summary.  Lesson learned…   : )

Here goes:

http://aep-arts.org/Champions.html  This is a press release from Champions of Change regarding the impact of the arts on learning, click on “press release” mid page.

http://www.artsusa.org/public_awareness/facts/   Facts about art education

This was sent from list member Deborah Boothby, slide curator at the University of Vermont:  From the New York Times Arts section for March 20, 2003, a quote from Lee Bollinger, new president of Columbia University  arts are a fundamental means of thought and communication…If I had to choose between an expository form of communication and an intuitive form of expression, I would choose the latter to be more profound.  I think it’s a false premise that the arts are an add-on to ordinary life.”

http://www.sierra-arts.net/DeborahDagueBarrPowerOfArt.html The Power of Art in Society by Deborah Dague

http://www.garlandisd.net/finearts/ten_lessons_the_arts_teach.htm  Ten Lessons the Arts Teach by Elliot Eisner.  Also by Elliot Eisner The Arts and the Creation of Mind.

Also several references to articles in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association

I hope you find this helpful, and I apologize for the incompleteness of it.

Have a wonderful day,

Shelly

Shelly Kilroy

Librarian

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park

1000 E. Beltline NE

Grand Rapids, MI  49525

616-975-3144

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]