I just saw this in Marylaine Block's "Neat New Stuff I Found This Week" and am passing it along to those who are interested. I haven't had time to read much (the second site has many articles from around the world) but of special interest are the photos from the interiors of the Museum and the Library, post-looting and burning.

"The Doc Searls Weblog: Proposed: a Barn-Raising for Civilization
http://doc.weblogs.com/2003/04/16#proposedABarnraisingForCivilization
He has a great idea for trying to retrieve the treasures lost from Iraq's plundered museum (I'd add its burnt and looted library as well). See also The 2003 Iraq War and Archaeology, at http://cctr.umkc.edu/user/fdeblauwe/iraq.html for a collection of reporting on the destruction.
Neat New Stuff I Found This Week
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
Copyright, Marylaine Block, 1999-2003.
[Publishers may license the content at reasonable rates.]
Six months worth of Neat New Stuff is available on the web site."

I will take this opportunity to thank all who have contributed information and opinions on this topic. We can't deny the importance and relevance of these tragic events to us as art librarians and concerned human beings, and I for one am willing to open my mailbox to this discussion.

Kathy

Kathryn L. Corcoran
Library Services Director
Art Reference Library