Here is a compilation of information sent to me by our wonderful list. Thanks to all who emailed and phoned me.

The American Association of Museums has several publications,
"Everyone's Welcome: The Americans with Disabilities Act and Museums,"
"The Accessible Museum" and "Art Beyond Sight."  They also have
published books that target docents dealing with people with
disabilities.
http://www.aam-us.org/newbookstore

NEA has published numerous pamphlets on ADA's impact on museum,
theater, and website design.  They'll also have to consider Section 504
if they receive any federal funds.  I think they're available through
the NEA Office of Accessibility.

http://www.nea.gov/partner/Accessibility/Brochure.html

DOJ also has an ADA information page, but it pertains more to design of
public spaces such as restrooms or coat closets than exhibition space.
You can download their essential guidelines in pdf format from that
page.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

The Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible Exhibition Design should be useful in addressing
your question on the installation of art work.  The guidelines are available
at the following web link:
http://www.si.edu/opa/accessibility/exdesign/start.htm

Thanks much,
Amy Ruffo