Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

Several of you have e-mailed me off-list regarding the recent Iraq
resolution, composed by the Public Policy Committee and ultimately
edited and endorsed by the Board.  There seems to have been a
misunderstanding about a particular aspect of my ARLIS-L posting on this
issue, namely the "non-unanimous" nature of the Board's decision to
endorse the Iraq Resolution.

According to the Bylaws, the decision to endorse this statement outside
of the context of a formal meeting motion was the purview of the
President as ARLIS/NA's Chief Executive Office.  As President, I sought
the support and advice of a very committed and sensitive Board, and
found strong agreement with the ideals contained in that resolution.  No
formal vote or motion was taken, nor was one required.  My use of the
term "non-unanimous" was therefore misplaced and inappropriate in this
case.

I hope this clarifies the methodology of the deliberations and the
intent of the Board's support for this resolution, which has been posted
to the ARLIS/NA website at:  http://www.arlisna.org/resolution.html

The Public Policy Committee also plans to post the resolution to other
related listserves and is recommending other follow-up assistance for
Iraqi museums and libraries recovery efforts.  We will keep you informed
of developments.

Yours truly,

Allen

Allen K. Townsend, President, ARLIS/NA
Librarian
Amon Carter Museum
3501 Camp Bowie Blvd
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
Phone:  817 989 5073
Fax:  817 989 5079

All opinions are my own and not those of my employer