Hello list!

I enjoy collecting fashion illustrations from magazines and postcards, and the some of them, if not alll, have similar styles and trends. I wonder if fashion illustration is a 'good art'. Or is it just commercialized work with fixed patterns and styles.

Think about illustration in general. Illustration is basically a commercial art, right? Childrend's book, magazine covers... Illustrators have to work with clients, writers and publishers under a lot of pressure and a deadline. I think, at some point, they have to compromise. Artists make people's tastes, but also the public decides what artists can draw.

It's perfectly possible for some outstanding artists to satiate all tastes, but generally, is illustration more likely to become a 'kitsch'?

Elaine Youn
undergraduate