Dear colleagues,

As announced in Baltimore, the Queens College Art Library
proposes an exhibit of art by ARLIS/NA members to accompany
the 2004 conference in New York City.  We hold a fond memory of
such exhibition in Philadelphia five years ago and want to bring its
excitement back to us and to New York.

Our starting idea was to present such exhibition in the Queens
College Art Center (about which below) and invite conference
participants to visit.  A reception and possibly a special program
would be part of the event.  A visit to our exhibition might be
combined with visits to other destinations at Queens College that
would be of interest to our members.  The Godwin-Ternbach
Museum will be presenting "Memory and History," mixed media
prints, collages, and sculpture by contemporary Italian American
artist B. Amore and Jewish-American artist Pauline Jakobsberg,
exploring themes of immigration, family, and history.  The Louis
Armstrong Archives is a fascinating repository of Satchmo’s
legacy.  A bus tour to Queens might possibly be organized.  Other
Queens sites might be visited as well.

Queens College Art Center is an initiative of the Queens College
Art Library that presents the work of emerging and established
artists in diverse media.  Since the 1950’s, it has organized more
than 300 exhibitions, most of them accompanied by related
programs (gallery talks, symposia), some also with catalogs and
posters.  The exhibitions and programs are covered by  regional
media.

The Art Center’s gallery is a handsome space encircling the top
floor of the College’s Benjamin S. Rosenthal Library’s stunning
central rotunda.  Imagine ¾ of a Guggenheim Museum floor – level -
 with great light and sight lines, some 150 linear feet of outer walls
facing the glass of the inner opening, the curved corridor-like space
opening into three rectangular room-like corners.  Most media and
a broad variety of artwork can be accommodated. The artwork is
usually for sale.

Since our outside-of-Manhattan location is proving to be a logistical
challenge to this plan, however, we are also investigating the
possibility of holding the exhibition at the conference hotel, most
likely in the exhibits hall.

Each exhibiting artist would be responsible for delivering his/her
artwork, installing it and possibly taking it down.  Cost of ancillary
expenditures (for supplies, publicity, and such) that cannot be
covered in any other way would be shared.  This would be modest.

The duration of the exhibition and specifics of installation and
publicity (among other matters) will be determined once the
fundamental decisions of the exhibition and its venue become clear.

To assess the prospects for this exhibition, we are at this time
inviting all members who would wish to show their art to contact us
now.  Please tell us that you are interested and indicate the
medium of your artwork, the number of pieces you might wish to
submit, and their dimensions.

We need to have this preliminary information by Friday, April 18,
please.  Each respondent will be notified in May of the exhibition’s
plans and prospects.  If it is a go, this will include a timetable and
an outline of specifics.

Thank you!

Queens College Art Center
{ HYPERLINK http://www.qc.edu/Library/art/artcenter.html }http://www.qc.edu/Library/art/artcenter.html

Suzanna Simor, Director         Alexandra de Luise, Curator
{ HYPERLINK mailto:[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]                 { HYPERLINK mailto:[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
T (178) 997-3771                                T (718) 997-3748
F (718) 997-3753                                F (718) 997-3753