The Public Policy Committee has been discussing the war in Iraq with the
goal of defining  the relevant concerns of art librarians and identifying
possible responses. The recent looting of the the National Museum and the
destruction of the National Library make this now an even more immediate
concern.

At the conference in Baltimore we recommended that the Executive Board
adopt the statement made recently by College Art Association (CAA)
expressing their concern about the war and its potential impact on Iraq's
cultural property. (See their statement at
http://www.collegeart.org/caa/news/2003/march03press.html.)  The EB
declined this action, partly because the wording was out of date by that
time, and did not directly address the Society's specific interests.

A similar statement was more recently made by the American Association of
Museums (AAM), joining with ICOM and UNESCO. See the April issue of
"Aviso" and
http://www.unesco.org/culture/legalprotection/war/html_eng/index_en.shtml.

The Archaeological Institute of America has posted their "Open Declaration
on Cultural Heritage at Risk in Iraq" at http://www.archaeological.org/.
Additional signatories include CAA and several specialized research
institutes (as well as many individual archaeologists and art historians).
 Perhaps it would be appropriate for ARLIS/NA to be included there?

We feel that these concerns are directly relevant to ARLIS/NA's
committment to the preservation and documentation of the world's cultural
heritage. The Public Policy Committee will be contacting these
organizations about the possibility of coordinated action. At this time,
we are eager to hear from more ARLIS members about recommended action and
statements, or additional news or background info (eg on the 1954 Hague
Convention on the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed
Conflict, or other relevant treaties and diplomatic accords).

Given Secretary Powell's comments this morning, perhaps we should also
consider if ARLIS/NA and other US libraries and professional associations
are in a position to provide concrete assistance to the Iraqis, as the AIA
offered to do.

James Mitchell and Vanessa Kam
Co-Chairs, ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee

James Mitchell
Librarian, American Folk Art Museum
Shirley K. Schlafer Library
45 West 53rd St.