I believe this could be of interest.

---- Original Message --------
Subject: ACRL National Conference media in Charlotte
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:21:31 -0500
From: "Larra Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
To: ACRL Campaign for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, all.

I had hoped to post to the list sooner, but things are hopping with the
Patriot Act and more here in Chicago.

In case you haven't seen or heard, I wanted to share some of our media
clips from Charlotte.

We started strong with an op/ed from Helen Spalding on April 9 in the
Charlotte Observer.  I've asked permission to reproduce their final
print copy on our Web site, but you can see what we submitted in the
attachment.  I would like to highlight this in particular because Helen
and I were able to use the sample op/ed in the toolkit as a starting
point, then incorporate current information, as well as information
requested by the op/ed editor.  I hope comparing this document with the
toolkit template will show how this can be done  -- fairly easily and
effectively.  The sample materials in the toolkit are solid media
tools --- and flexible for tailoring to meet local needs.

Helen and UNCC Library Director Amy Dykeman also were interviewed for an
hour on Charlotte's NPR affiliate, Charlotte Talks.  You can still hear
this interview online, if you missed it on April 10.  Just go to WFAE's
archives:

http://www.wfae.org/wfae/nav1024.cfm?cat=18&subcat=93
<http://www.wfae.org/wfae/nav1024.cfm?cat=18&subcat=93> .

Tyrone Cannon also met with the editor of the Charlotte Post, although
we haven't captured this clip yet.  If it's available electronically,
I'll send it to the list soon.

Overall, ACRL and many of the key issues facing college and research
libraries and librarians made their way into key print and broadcast media.

It can be done!  And I look forward to seeing more of it in the coming
year as we all connect the key messages to the issues of the day -- and
make college and research librarians more visible.

I'll try to share media clips where I can and welcome examples from
everyone as we continue to work toward the most meaningful media
presence for libraries and librarians of all types.

Cheers, Larra

Larra Clark
Press Officer
Public Information Office
American Library Association
50 E. Huron
Chicago, IL  60611-2795
Toll-free:  800-545-2433 x5043
Direct:  312-280-5043
Fax:  312-944-8520
Email:  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

PAULA

--
PAULA EPSTEIN  Liaison to ALA ARTS
Co-ordinator of Library Outreach