Dear Don and ARLIS/NA listserv members:

What would you do to replace your cultural heritage?
Would you wait for the support of ARLIS/NA, UNESCO,
and the FBI? This may develop into a case before the
U.S. courts, World Court or the European Union.  I am
not familiar with international law but theses war
crimes could be the grounds for a litigation suit
against coalition countries/and their cultural
institutions.

i.e. If Yale University, has a copy of a manuscript
similar to one burned or looted in an Iraqi Library,
could Yale University be forced to give up this
manuscript to compensate the negligence of our forces
in Iraq?  Could an order be directed to a U.S.
institution by the World Court?

This could be expanded to include include materials
stolen during the Gulf War and colonialization?  If
Holocaust suvivors can win their suit against Swiss
banks, Iraqis may have a case as well.

Will this be the begining of a new world order for
librarians?  How far would you go to restore a
collection and why would you stop at one war, why not
try to repatriotize (authenticate? not sure what word
to use here) all of it.

Stephanie Sueppel

http://search.yahoo.com