        As professional, we are in charge of the acquisitions, organization,
preservation, reference, and management of information in a variety of
fomats on the art and culture of different civilizations. We ought to be
concerned about the looting of the National Museum in Baghdad and the
burring of the National Library as well. This listserv is an appropriate
place for the dissemination of information regarding those events.
        However, I am not convinced that it is an appropriate place for
expressing our personal political opinions as to whether George W. Bush is
"a great president" or "a madman". I am even less convinced that it is an
appropriate place to begin a campaign to reelect him or to defeat him at the
polls in 2004. Nevertheless, I am leery about censoring anyone's personal
political opinion on these subjects or any other subjects.
        Having said that, I do think that it is appropriate for Arlis/NA's
Public Policy Committee to make a statement about these recent events. I
would urge it to address three concerns:
        1. the looting of the National Museum, the burning of the National
Library, and the threat to other cultural institutions in Iraq;
        2. the threat to the art and culture of other cities and countries
in the region, particularly the museums and libraries of Damascus and
Tehran;
        3. the effect that this war has already had on our economy, which
has resulted in the decrease of public funds and private donations for the
arts and humanities here at home, especially as they effect museums and
libraries.
        Although all three of these points are highly political, they are
nevertheless extremely important to all of us as professionals.
        I know that the Public Policy Committee is writing a statement and I
look forward to reading it once it is published.

William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives
The Newark Museum
49 Washington Street