Colleagues:

I have read with interest ARLIS-L member comments on the terrible situation
in Iraq.  I do hope my esteemed colleagues in the U.S. are willing to turn
on their library research skills and seek out news that does not come from
our present government or American corporations.  If one were to examine the
congressional news broadcast on our own corporate cable network, one would
know that our current 'elected officials' knew they weren't sending enough
support troops and were clearly able to 'defend' the oil fields.

I understand that humanitarian aid organizations are still concerned about
food, water and sanitation for the people of Iraq. I hope we care what the
Iraqi people are saying about the loss of culture, the loss of life and
their current struggle for survival.  I hope we can respect their culture
when our elected officials and military appointees attempt to remake their
world in our image.

It seems a pity that knowledge of their culture so coveted by professionals
in our museums, colleges, universities and by independent scholars may once
again be ignored by elected officials in favor of corporate or personal
interests.

Kathy Ritter
Director of the Library
New Hampshire Institute of Art