I am trying to verify the status of U.S. ratification of the Hague
Convention for the Protection of Cultural Properties in the Event of Armed
Conflict.  The United States signed this Convention in 1954, but made no
move to ratify it until 1999.  In that year, President Clinton transmitted
the Convention to the Senate and recommended that it be ratified.

As far as I can determine, the Senate has not yet ratified the
Convention.  It does not appear in the 2002 edition of the government
publication "Treaties in Force", and the United States does not appear as a
participant on UNESCO's web site related to the Convention.  But our
government documents librarians have not found any reference to a debate in
the Senate on this issue, or to any vote one way or the other.

Has anyone been following this issue since 1999?  Does anyone have more
definitive information about ratification?

Thanks
Tim Shipe

Timothy Shipe, Ph. D.
Arts and Literature Bibliographer