Dear Dr. Weidman:
        I do have Jacobsen's Biographical Index of American Artists, and I
do recommend it. It is very comprehensive and the citations are in standard
English, not filled with abbreviations like Peter Falk's Who was Who in
American Art, so it is more comprehensible as well. No doubt there is a lot
of overlap between these two sources, but Jacobsen also includes recent
auction prices where available, which adds to this source's usefulness.
        I would be interested in hearing from other librarians about this
source.
        Sincerely yours,
William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives