FYI--here is the email regarding the CAA
Reviews website.  I cut&pasted the text into
this message to avoid "attachment" problems.
Let me know if you still have difficulties
reading it.
--Linda

Dear CAA.Reviews list subscribers,

The newly redesigned CAA.Reviews website has been online for about a week. I encourage everyone to visit http://www.caareviews.org. While the journal's new look and functions are almost complete, CAA will be working hard in the coming days and weeks to iron out the site's wrinkles. If you have questions and concerns about the new CAA.Reviews website, please feel free to contact me.

All previously published reviews are now searchable by book author and editor?s name, reviewer name, book title, publisher, and subject. In addition, a keyword search will look through the text of each review. Reviews have also been reorganized: book reviews are now grouped together, as are reviews of exhibitions. Reviews of digital media, conferences and related events, and other publications are listed under the category of ?Other New Reviews.? All reviews are alphabetically indexed by the book author or editor?s surname and can be browsed by letter. With these new categorical divisions, CAA.Reviews sees areas for expansion and opportunities for growth.

The new Essays section is another new development. We inaugurate it with three review essays on Meyer Schapiro?s books and scholarship (forthcoming in March).

With this redesign, CAA membership is required to read the full review texts in CAA.Reviews. For their login name, CAA members must enter their member ID number, which can be found on your CAA membership ID card or the mailing label for your journal subscriptions, or obtained by contacting [log in to unmask]; users may choose their own password. You can program your computer to remember your password and ID after the first use.

In the next stage of CAA.Reviews? upgrade, we hope to add an e-commerce feature that will permit nonmembers to gain access to the site for a small fee; we are also exploring ways to allow scholars in developing nations access through underwriting. We recognize that the great virtue of the Internet is the widespread, generous, and easy access to information that it provides, and CAA seeks to offer that broad access, while still maintaining the site in a fiscally responsible manner.

Much of the current website remains open to the public. General site information--such as the Books Received list, the names of Editorial Board members and field editors, the submission guidelines for reviewers, and links to art-book publishers and distributors--can be seen by all visitors to the website.

Thousands of art-related publications hit the shelves each year, and CAA?s quarterly print journals, The Art Bulletin and Art Journal, have space to review only a fraction of them and cannot publish swiftly. CAA.Reviews was conceived to fill this gap. Moreover, the venues for creative and scholarly art publishing are shrinking, art books get less and less attention in newspapers and magazines, and the large chain bookstores have moved their art-book sections to low-traffic areas. In this difficult climate, the value of a forum like CAA.Reviews to recognize, promote, and critique the vast body of new art scholarship is inestimable. Since its inception, CAA.Reviews has published more than 500 scholarly and authoritative reviews of books, catalogues, monographs, exhibitions, CD-ROMs, and more.

Best,
Chris
----
Christopher Howard