Colleagues--
As [outgoing] ARLIS/CAA liaison, I'd like to report
briefly on events at the recent College Art Association
conference in New York City.
http://www.collegeart.org/2003conference.html

First, very great thanks go to Deirdre Lawrence
(Brooklyn Museum of Art) and Milan Houston (Museum
of Modern Art).  They did a superlative job of
organizing and presenting a panel session at CAA
in ARLIS/NA's name.  Thanks also to Robert Rainwater
(New York Public Library) and Jae Jennifer Rossman
(Yale University Libraries, Art of the Book
Collection) who presented as well.  And a final
thank you to Hannah Bennett (Art Institute of
Chicago) who volunteered her technical assistance
with the slides.

The session was titled: Artists' Books--a panel
discussion on institutional collecting in the
New York City region.  The session was not audio-
taped.  I can bring the paragraph abstracts to
Baltimore if any of you are interested in them.
Or perhaps, since ARLIS will be in NYC next
year, there will be opportunity for us to visit
the collections themselves.

At each CAA conference, book and service awards
are conveyed.  Those given this year are listed at:
http://www.collegeart.org/caa/awards/03awards.html
and include the catalog
"Tapestry in the Renaissance"
http://www.collegeart.org/caa/awards/2003awards/barrcitation.html
and the monograph
"Paper Before Print: The History and Impact of
Paper in the Islamic World"
http://www.collegeart.org/caa/awards/2003awards/moreycitation.html

Also on the subject of books and CAA reviews, I will
forward to the list a copy of a recent email regarding
the redesigned CAA.Reviews website.  Parts of the
site will apparently be available only to CAA members
in future.

As part the conference, NINCH (National Initiative
for a Networked Cultural Heritage) had one of its
ongoing series of copyright town meetings.  The
agenda is posted on the NINCH website, and their
prior practice has been to provide a program
summary after the session concludes.  Look for it at:
http://www.ninch.org/copyright/2003/nyc.html
http://www.ninch.org/copyright/

If you have question about the recent conference, please
let me know.  Also, keep in mind that the next CAA
conference will be in Seattle in 2004.  It is time to
begin thinking seriously about a possible panel session
for that meeting.

Best,
Linda Duychak
ARLIS/NA-CAA Liaison