Kelly -- There is a more affordable cabinet that I use at home and several
professors here also use for their personal collections.  All the
references below are for the same cabinet through different vendors; the
cabinet holds about 2500 glass bound slides and 5600 slides in skinny
mounts.

Highsmith
Stackable Slide File Cabinet
$91.75
http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=26772&keyword=slide&categoryId=80560&parent_category_rn=80560&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&desc=0

University Products
Modular Slide Storage Cabinet
$99.00
http://www.librarysuppliers.com/user-cgi/display.cgi?id=1085

Light Impressions
Stackable Slide Storage Center
$84.95
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=20000&PCR=30000:210000:211000:211300&R=6256

It looks like Light Impressions wins in terms of price.  Note that you can
buy extra plastic drawer dividers that fit into slots inside the drawers.
I cannot vouch for the complete archival quality of these cabinets, but I
do know people who have been using them for years without any problems.

Jeanette C. Mills
Director of Visual Services & Newsletter Editor
School of Art, University of Washington