Dear Colleagues,

As one of the last ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee co-chairs, I am eager
to see this discussion begin in Baltimore and relieved to know that
the profession is willing to evaluate its efforts.  I can only second
Miguel's call for a larger attendance at the forum.  Although
meetings of the Diversity Committee had grown to include more people
than the twelve committee members by the St. Louis conference, it
does seem to be a small recurring group of art librarians willing to
commit to Diversity issues.  A broad discussion of the issues at hand
will hopefully entice more participants to the Forum.

Nevertheless, Gladys was right on the mark when she encouraged more
than talk at the ARLIS conferences.  We do need to consider putting
our money where its needed and ante up funds for diversifying our
profession.  ARLIS MD/DC/VA, the local chapter sponsoring the
Baltimore conference, has awarded a travel stipend to a local library
school student of colour from Catholic University.  I hope we will
all meet and greet the recipient, Maria Sampang, and encourage more
young librarians into the profession.  I also hope this local effort
will spin off more interest at the national level.  We can not be an
inclusive organization if we do not step up and recruit librarians of
colour to join our ranks.

So Baltimore looks to be an outstanding site to inaugurate a new
approach to diversity issues within the ranks of ARLIS/NA.  I look
forward to a frank and productive discussion.  Thank you Allen for
the initiative.

Lucie
--
Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Collections/User Ed Coordinator

tele. 434-924-6604      [log in to unmask]