Dear colleagues:
The  Now difunct Diversity Committee considered a broader spectrum not
only those of ethnic background,
 from raising awareness about
the gay professionals, the Native Americans and to those of access to
library services for people with disabilities. During the conferences,
I think, that I saw less than 15  minority professionals in
ARLIS/NA.  From 400 participants, is less than 5% membership. Allan
has a very good point.
 To attract students  of color to our organization
we  have to make an special effort since we are competing for a limited
number of future professionals. ARLIS/NA should consider again the
proposal made in ST Louis, to offer a fellowship for 2 students studying
for a MLS in  a Library School near the site of the conference each
year. At the same time, a mentoring plan should be developed, so the
students have the ARLIS/NA experience. I am sure that good
ideas to develop a policy package will flow in Baltimore,

  gladys

   Gladys Markoff-Sotomayor
 Columbia University Libraries
    212-854-4881//854-7564