From: AllenT [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 3:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Diversity Meeting in Baltimore

Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

The Diversity Forum in Baltimore (Sunday, March 23rd in McKeldin) seeks
to engage interested Society members in discussing the possibilities we
might explore in the future to attract a more diverse membership, and
indeed, a more diverse group to the art information professions.  The
literature of librarianship certainly offers many studies and surveys
which have covered this topic for other areas of librarianship, and the
current diversity score card for our professions is exceedingly low!

During this one-hour session, we will discuss past Society efforts in
this area, the possibility of forming a task force, the possibility of a
Society-sponsored survey and subsequent paper on the topic, and
hopefully the many more good ideas on this subject that are lurking in
the brains of our creative and engaged members!  For those of your who
plan to attend the Forum, please think about the following questions and
issues:

Revisit ARLIS/NA policies regarding diversity.

Revisit ARLIS/NA strategic plan statements about diversity.

ARLIS/NA in context:  Where do we stand in comparison with other
information professions with regard to diversity?

How do we recruit a more diverse population to our professions?

How best to systematically organize ourselves in this effort?

How can the organization make an impact in this area?

How can diverse interests be represented in all parts of our Society?

How have other organizations addressed lack of diversity in their
memberships?

I look forward to seeing you in Baltimore very soon!

Yours sincerely,

Allen K. Townsend
Vice President/President Elect, ARLIS/NA
Librarian
Amon Carter Museum
3501 Camp Bowie Blvd
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
Phone:  817 989 5073
Fax:  817 989 5079

All opinions are my own and not those of my employer