At 01:15 PM 3/5/2003 -0500, Gail Gilbert wrote:
>Colleagues, can you help answer the following question?
>
>"I know there is a word,  "palimpsest" used to describe the part of the
>manuscript where text has  been removed so that new text can fit in its
>place.  I also know that "pentimenti" refers to a painting or drawing
>where the  under-workings show through as a "ghost" image.
>
>Is there a word which is used to describe the "bleeding" through of text
>or writing in a manuscript or sketchbook from the back side of one
>
>page to the front of the other?"
>
>Thank you.
>

>Gail Gilbert
>Margaret M. Bridwell Art Library
>Schneider Hall
>University of Louisville
>Louisville, KY   40292
>502-852-6741

Not surprisingly, the correct word seems to be "bleedthrough" as in the
example below:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/sfbmhtml/sfbmbuilding.html

Building the Digital Collection

Creating the Digital Images

The Samuel F. B. Morse Papers were microfilmed by the Library of Congress
Photoduplication Service in 1975. All thirty-five reels of this microfilm
were digitized, producing approximately 50,000 images. Digitization of the
microfilm was performed offsite by Preservation Resources of Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania, under contract to the National Digital Library Program.

The Morse Papers were scanned as 200 dpi, 8-bit grayscale images that were
compressed using JPEG compression, producing images in the JPEG File
Interchange Format (JFIF). This format is typically used to digitize
historical manuscripts because of its ability to capture and display the
diversity of tones in manuscripts and the varying nuances produced by
handwriting, pencil, and ink. Capturing images in grayscale can often also
suppress the bleedthrough typical of handwritten documents in the Morse
Papers. (Bleedthrough means that the ink or printing on the verso, or back,
of a page can be seen on the recto, or front.) Because JPEG images require
considerable time to download, grayscale GIF images were created for
convenient access when using the NDLP page-turner feature. GIFs were
generated from grayscale TIFF images by Preservation Resources.

Robert A. Baron
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.studiolo.org