Expires After: 4/2/2003 00:00

Hi Edith,
In Art News, Nov 2002, there was an article: "Speaking Volumes: What are the
most important art books of the century?; Critics, scholars, and artists
name
their favorites."   It starts on page 164, and is about 11 pages long.
Hope that helps a bit,
Andrea Segall
Berkeley Public Library

Andrea Segall
Berkeley Public Library  Art & Music Section
2090 Kittredge St., Berkeley CA, 94704
(510) 981-6236
fax: (510) 981-6219

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/26/03 10:27AM >>>

I have an MLS student who wants to find "the essential classic books on 20th
century modern art theory, particularly early 20th century."

_Guide to the Literature of History_ doesn't cover much on theory that I can
see, and searching in some large library catalogs hasn't turned up anything
useful. Is anyone aware of a bibliography that does this, or of a
bibliography
lurking within something else? Our course in theory has been moribund for
awhile (but will resurrect next semester)--so I'm rusty.

Edith L. Crowe
Art & Humanities Librarian
San Jose State University Library
http://library.sjsu.edu

Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
http://www.mythsoc.org