Thank you to all who responded to the artists' book survey!

I received 26 responses from the following types of libraries:
9 - museum, 1 public, 5 art school and 11 academic

See below for summaries:

>1) Do you collect all types of artists' books (multiples, limited edition
>and unique)? Please specify. What types do you not collect?
>
>15 libraries reported that they focus on multiples and limited editions.
>10 collect multiples, limited edition and unique bookworks.
>
>2) Is there anything unique about your collection? For instance, do you
>have a regional scope of collecting?
>
>3 libraries report that their collection is strictly regional. 23 collect
>both local, national and international work and several art museum
>libraries reported a tendency to collect work by artists who are
>represented in their object collections.
>
>3) Approximately how many artists' books do you have in your collection?
>
>ranged from 100 to 4,000
>
>4) Do you work with another curatorial department in your institution,
>such as a print department, on selection/criteria or collection
>development? Are all the artists' books collected by your institution
>cataloged into one system (ie RLIN, OCLC)?
>
>12 libraries reported that they work with other colleagues within their
>institutions to build their artists' book collection.
>12 libraries contribute their holdings to OCLC and 4 to RLIN.
>
>5) Does your institution have a program that highlights artists' books
>(publishing, programming, exhibition)?
>
>16 libraries have active exhibition programs, 12 hold regular classes for
>students, 1 is developing a publishing program with another institution.
>Three institutions are establishing an endowment fund to allow for more
>acquisitions of artists' books.

In addition to collecting artists' books, a few libraries reported that
they were also collecting the archives of a particular press or artist. My
favorite response to question number 2:

"Particular attention is paid to artists' books as agents of social change,
the book as conceptual space, and artists' books that pay self-conscious
attention to book structure".