To follow up on Lee Sorensen's message about the David Smith item from the Bier Collection; the Sloane Art Library is the recipient of a gift purchase of much of the material from this collection, including material from the Kestner-Gesellchaft, which Bier directed until he fled Germany for the US. The collection has not yet been cataloged, however.  For more information on Bier, perhaps best known for his scholarship on Reimenschneider, and a bibliography of his work, see:

Biographisches Handbuch deutschsprachiger Kunsthistoriker im Exil : Leben und Werk der unter dem Nationalsozialismus verfolgten und vertriebenen Wissenschaftler / Ulrike Wendland. (Munchen : Saur, 1999.)

I have to thank Lee, too, for making me aware of Wendland's useful biographical work and for donating a copy to us!

Patricia T. Thompson
Art Librarian
Sloane Art Library
CB 3405 Hanes Art Center