I will be attending the MARBI sessions at the Midwinter meeting of ALA
in Philadelphia on Jan. 25 and 26. Of the five papers on the agenda,
three may be of interest to ARLIS and/or VRA members.  With his
permission, I am reposting Sherman Clarke's comments (previously posted
to VRA-L) on Discussion Papers 2003-02 and 03. I have added a summary of
the third paper, which discusses citations to journal articles within
analytic records.

DISCUSSION PAPER 2003-DP02
The Leader definitions of projected and nonprojected graphic materials
(values "g" and "k") are being revised to "moving image" and "still
image." Slides, filmstrips and transparencies would move from the former
to the latter group. While the majority of visual resource records are
not in MARC, there are hundreds of thousands of records in MARC (e.g.
UCSD, Clemson). Should I argue that it would make more sense to add new
value(s)?

There may be ways that you could find the records in your MARC database
(combined search of Leader/06 = g and GMD = slide) so that you could
change the records.

The Leader definitions of projected and nonprojected graphic materials
(values "g" and "k") are being revised to "moving image" and "still
image." Slides, filmstrips and transparencies would move from the former
to the latter group. While the majority of visual resource records are
not in MARC, there are hundreds of thousands of records in MARC (e.g.
UCSD, Clemson). Should I argue that it would make more sense to add new
value(s)?

There may be ways that you could find the records in your MARC database
(combined search of Leader/06 = g and GMD = slide) so that you could
change the records.

Do you see it as a problem that photos, postcards, slides and other
still images would all be coded here the same? If any of you have a
*coded* place for indicating this aspect of items in your database, it
would be helpful to know if you use the code for modifying searches and
might be helpful to have a list of your codes.

DISCUSSION PAPER 2003-DP03
There are now several standard numbers for various sorts of works, e.g.
International Standard Text Code, International Standard Musical Work
Code, International Standard Recording Code, International Standard
Audiovisual Number. We have discussed at various times the need for an
international art work number, and David Austin wrote a paper on this
topic (which I will try to find so that I can have it with me).

This is more a point of information than a question but if you have any
thoughts on the value of an international art work number, it might be
helpful to the discussion to know that there are other areas waiting in
the wings. It might also be interesting for you to see some of the other
numbers, e.g. ISTC 0A9-2002-12B4A105-6 for some text regardless of
edition.

The discussion will revolve around the addition of 024 for "other
standard identifier" to the authority format.

Discussion Paper 2003-DP01

Many art libraries still create analytic records for articles in
journals or in monographs, or may have a sizable number of older
analytic records in their catalogs. They will be interested in this
paper, which discusses data elements that record citation information
for a journal article. Field 773 allows for a link between the analytic
record and the record for the journal, but the citation data elements
are not parsed into separate subfields, but combined as free text in
subfield $g. Example:

$gVol. 2, no. 2 (Feb. 1976), p. 195-230

Services that supply records for articles are likely to need this
information separated into individual elements, such as volume number,
issue, start page, formatted date. The paper explores ways to do this,
including modifying the 773 field, using the SICI, or defining a new
field for this data.

At the meeting, Sherman Clarke and I will make the point that whatever
method is used, it should not exclude the possibility of continuing to
create analytic records that conform to AACR2 Chapter 13. Does anyone
who uses this field have any further comments to make? And, by the way,
do you put pagination information in the 300$a or in the 773$g (or in
both places?)

Full texts of all the papers are available at
http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/mw2003_age.html.

If you have any comments, please send them to me by Jan. 24.

Thanks.

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Pierpont Morgan Library
29 East 36th Street
New York, NY  10016-3403

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212 685-4740
NET: [log in to unmask]

Visit CORSAIR, the Library's comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.morganlibrary.org