Hello everyone,

I received an astounding, 36 responses to my short list of questions on museum library docent services.  Three of them wanted summaries, but did not answer the questions, so my summary below is based on 33 responses.  30 were from museum libraries, 3 were from academic libraries with connections to the university museum.  The museum libraries ranged from several one-person shops to larger staffed institutions.

TRAINING:

20 were involved on a regular basis

10 were not

3 were involved only when asked on a informal basis

9 libraries train docents one-on-one

9 create prepared materials for docent training (types of materials range from searching guides and bibliographies, to full folders of information on selected objects)

Comments on training docents mentioned their preference for one-on-one treatment and lack of computer skills.  Many docents never use the library after the training session, unless they have an immediate need for information (tour tomorrow!)

RESERVE:

17 reserve material for the docents to use

16 do not reserve material

The materials could be selected by the docent trainer, (setting aside required reading for the docents), or by the librarians selecting material relating to exhibitions.

CIRCULATION:

6 libraries circulate to the public, members or students and include the docents

27 libraries were non-circulating (on-site staff only circulation)

Of the 27 non-circulating collections, 2 treated the docents as staff and allowed circulation. (Staff circulation was overwhelmingly on-site only. But 1 library had 3 day off-site circulation period with a 24 hour recall).

Comments ranged from “circulate to docents? Oh no!” to “Yes, they are our front line P.R. staff”

DOCENT COLLECTIONS:

12 respondents had special circulating collections just for docents

21 did not.

Of the 12 docent collections 5 are managed or connected in some way to the museum library and 7 are managed by other departments or the docents themselves.

OTHER:

3 libraries mentioned giving the docents free photocopies

Thank you all for your responses.  As I mentioned in my first message, I have been asked to speak about library resources to the docents.  But also, our docents have offered to donate their circulating collection to the library, thinking it would remain a circulating collection.  So I was very interested in the responses to my few simple questions.  You all have been very helpful.

Marianne L. Cavanaugh

Head Librarian

Richardson Memorial Library

Saint Louis Art Museum