        Hello colleagues,

        We are seeing a steadily increasing number of requests to capture
images from materials in the Library's collections in digital, rather than
reprographic or photographic, format.  Researchers are using their own
digital cameras, to make such images while in the Library.  Alternatively,
researchers are returning home and scanning from photocopies made in the
Library, or they are emailing digital images to themselves from the Library,
(we have a microform reader-printer which makes this possible).  The
consequence of these trends is that we are experiencing new and greater
challenges in assuring adherence to our traditional policy of requiring
users to obtain written permission, before publishing images taken from
Library materials.  In conjunction with the Museum's Rights and
Reproductions Department, the Library is reviewing existing policies,
procedures and related forms and would be grateful for any help others can
provide.  Our objective is to continue to have control over the quality of
published images, which are associated with our institution.  The images in
question are out of copyright.

        Specifically, our questions are as follows:

1.      Do you require researchers to obtain written permission before
publication of images from Library materials?

2.      Do you allow photocopies and/or microform printouts to be used as
"originals" in publication?

3.      Do you allow researchers to make their own digital images from
Library materials?

4.      If you answered "yes" to #3 above, do you require institutional
review of the scans before giving permission to publish?

5.      Do you offer an in-house scanning service, to provide publishable
quality scans?  If so, what sort of service (equipment, staffing, fees) do
you provide?

6.      Do your policies regarding publication include use on the Web?

7.      Do you have forms, pertaining to these issues, that you would be
willing to share?

        Any general or specific comments on these and related topics would
be most welcome.  Please feel free to respond to the Listserv or to me
directly: [log in to unmask] .  Thank you.

        Patti Rogers

        Patricia J. Rogers
        Deputy Director for Library Resources
        The Corning Museum of Glass
        and
        Head Librarian
        The Juliette K. and Leonard S. Rakow Research Library
        Five Museum Way
        Corning, NY 14830
        (607) 974-8336