Museum Computer Network -- Call for Proposals

Please excuse cross-postings. Join us in November for the Museum Computer Network's 31st annual conference.

Call for Participation
Balancing Museum Technology and Transformation
Museum Computer Network
November 5 - 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Proposals due : March 1, 2003.

Plan now  to join us in Las Vegas!
YOU ARE INVITED
  to submit a proposal for MCN's upcoming Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada, November 5 - 8, 2003.

This document  may be downloaded as an Acrobat file:
http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/Docs/MCN2003Call%20forParticipation.pdf

or you may complete  the convenient On-Line Submission form at
 http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/proposal/proposalform.html

Our conference theme, Balancing Museum Technology and Transformation, will focus on ways in which technology influences the way we work, the museum programming we produce, and even the way we think about museums and cultural  heritage.

With Las Vegas - the epitome of chance and change - as a backdrop, we will share stories of other institutions' calculated risks, learn from their gambles, and find ways to apply their winning strategies to our work.

Major areas of emphasis include:
 * Discovering and Managing Knowledge:
 * What are you doing to keep your staff abreast of significant new technology?
 * How do you educate and retain quality staff in a rapidly changing environment?
 * What are your plans for sharing knowledge within your group or your entire organization?
 * How can you prevent knowledge walking out the door when your staff does?

Managing Technological Change:
 * What questions do you ask when choosing which technologies to implement?
 * How has technology changed your institution's mission or aspirations?
 * Is staying culturally connected built into your museum's funding? Its staffing?
 * Is fund raising for technology part of your job, and how do you do it?
 * How do you balance technology needs with the rest of your museum's expenses?

Negotiating Change and Making Good Gambles:
 * Whose opinions do you seek, and are you asking the right questions?
 * How do you factor in staff anxiety when planning innovation?
 * How far into the future do you analyze the cost and benefit of new technology?
 * What about digital longevity and allocating resources into the indefinite future?

Collecting Demographic Information:
 * Should museums be collecting online data to target development prospects?
 * Should we ask our members to opt in or to opt out?
 * How much information do we need to market to our audiences?
 * Does the success rate justify the privacy concerns?

World Wide Web:
 * Who has responsibility for the web in your organization, and is it working?
 * How has e-commerce impacted your museum's culture?
 * How do you know if your web site is successful serving visitors and members?
 * Are you thinking about distance learning and its effect on museum education?

Intellectual Property:
 * Now that we've created digital assets, how do we use them responsibly?
 * How does your institution implement Digital Rights Management?
 * Is a collaborative strategy the only way to cope with copyright?
 * How do you set up a productive long-term collaboration?

Conference proposals should fall into one of the following categories:
 - Panel Presentation
 - Project Demonstration
 - Discussion / Forum

Please specify your need for either one-hour or 90- minute sessions, and remember the session should provide models for change, illustrate best practices, or present current scholarship and developments in the field.

Your proposal should summarize the presentation content and topics to be addressed by the individual speakers. It should express how the audience will benefit from the presentation.  And it should list A/V and IT requirements, including internet access, if necessary.  Please be sure to include the session moderator's name and contact information (phone, fax, e-mail, mailing address), as well as names and contact information for all of the presenters.

Panel chairs must be affiliates of institutional members, or individual members.

Please submit your proposal in one of these ways:
On-line at http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/proposal/proposalform.html
Email it to: [log in to unmask]
Fax it to: 613-599-7027
Mail it to: