Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 11/26/02 11:05:19 AM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
November 26, 2002

             Internet Scout Project Releases Scout Portal Toolkit
                    http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/research/SPT/

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:29:20 -0600
>From: David Sleasman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Scout Portal Toolkit 1.0 Release!

The Internet Scout Project is pleased to announce the 1.0 release of
the Scout Portal Toolkit (SPT)!

This open source software package, funded by the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation, allows groups or organizations to develop a portal online
without making a big investment in technical resources or expertise.
This release marks the first post-beta release of SPT.

Interested users and current beta testing organizations are strongly
encouraged to offer feedback by taking a brief (12 questions) survey.
This survey will help us gather information to refine SPT in future
releases and evaluate our work to date. The survey can be found at

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?AQCFEBSRABAHA8YT38NW3520

The SPT 1.0.0 package features include:

* Shipped with a MySQL database with  Dublin Core compliant metadata
default  fields;
* Cross-Field Searching (Advanced Search);
* Metadata field editor, which allows portal  administrators the
ability to add, delete, or disable a variety of metadata fields;
* Resource comments by Users;
* Intelligent User Agents;
* Resource Quality Ratings by Users;
* Suggested Resource Referrals (Recommender System);
* Accessible to users with disabilities;
* -Support for RSS channel export and the Open Archives Initiative
(OAI)Protocol for Metadata Harvesting 2.0;
* Discussion forum options;

For more information on SPT and its features, to explore a demo
installation, or to download the software go to
http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/research/SPT/

Specific comments, question and bug reports can be sent to

Also, the November issue of D-LIB Magazine has an article on the SPT
software. Discussed are the key features and functionality. The
article may be found at
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november02/almasy/11almasy.html

The development team looks forward to hearing your feedback!

Thanks,
--
David J. Sleasman
Metadata and Cataloging Services Coordinator

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.