I received a warning that the list-serve would not accept the attachment I
sent.  I'll enclose it now in the text along with my original message.
Unfortunately the formatting may not come through.

-------------

I agree with Michael that it is far from being acceptable, but it is
infinitely better than checking thru the print volumes year by year!  Also
compared to even the  Web DYABOLA  (which is simpler than the DOS version)
this database is child's play to use. And the annual cost is very modest --
only $200/year, I think.  Furthermore, there is a powerful free text search
which even gets into the abstracts AND you can limit your results to
English.  I no longer hestitate to steer our undergrads to L'Annee; since
about 2/3 of the entries are non-English the paper version was just too
discouraging for them.  And, most importantly, this is THE major index for
Classical Studies.  Remember also that it is not being produced for profit,
like some of the big easy to use databases; I think they are just trying
to recoup their costs.

I'm attaching a quick guide I created to help anyone in need along.

BTW, one can e-mail results by using the browser's "Send a page" and you can
also print from your browser's print button -- though only one page at a
time.  Admitedly this isn't great, but at least they are trying and this is
their first attempt.

Jean Susorney Wellington
Head, Classics Library
University of Cincinnati
-----------------------------
L'ANNEE PHILOLOGIQUE ONLINE INSTRUCTIONS
(www.annee-philologique.com)

Searching  - Select one of the following search headings at the top of the
page:

Modern Authors - or  - Ancient Authors:  (both texts by and articles & books
about)
- Type only the last modern name or any part of an ancient name or text and
select
appropriate entries from the list by clicking on the box to left of the
entry.
- Remember to use the L'Année spelling; e.g. Juvenal = Iuuenalis.
- Click "Confirm selection."
N.B. You might also try a Full text search for books & articles about
ancient works to pick up mentions made in résumés.

Subjects and Disciplines:
- To reach lower levels in the subject outline/tree, click on the + before
the subject
displayed.  (Note that the subject list differs before and after v. 67 for
1996.)
- Click on left-hand box to choose a heading or headings and click on
"Search" button.

Full Text:
- Type in a word or words and click on "Search."
- Truncation: * at the beginning or ending of a word.

Other criteria:
- Searches by word(s) in title, language, collection, periodical or APh ID
number.

To view the results :
- Wait until the "Search history" window appears listing the number of
results.
- Click on the underlined number of results - or - "Read the total."
- Click on page numbers at bottom of display to reach the other pages of
results.
- Click on the open book icon to the right of the brief entry in the list to
reach the full
citation; click on "Results" from the outline of the process on the left to
return to the list.
- To identify abbreviations used in the citations, select "Periodical" from
the
     "Other Criteria" heading at the top, type in the abbreviation and click
on "Search."

To refine the search by limiting by date or language, or title word, etc.
- If necessary, click on "History" in the left menu to return to the "Search
history"
window.
- Click on the appropriate heading at the top to add the additional search
criteria, type in
      the information and click on "Search."  You can add several criteria.
- Your total hits that meet all criteria are viewable by clicking on "Read
the total" button.
- You may inactivate any criterion by unclicking the box to the left and
selecting the
     "Recalculate button."

To begin an entirely new search:
-       Click on "New Search" in the left menu.

Print or email results: (1 page of results at a time)
Use the file menu on your browser's menu bar from the results page.

JSW 10-23-02