Dear Allen and Colleagues,

I was very disappointed when the Board decided to disband the
ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee.  I felt that we, as a profession,
needed to examine our membership and mission in regards to a changing
professional environment.  We still have a road to travel to make the
organization more diverse.

Thus, I was happy to see your invitation.  I am gratified that ARLIS
will continue to take an interest in diversity issues, however I wish
that the task force would have more permanence.  Nevertheless, I
would be happy to serve on either of the task forces that you are
proposing, so please do consider this my offer. Thank you.

yours,

Lucie Stylianopoulos
Collections/User Education Coordinator
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia

At 9:26 AM -0500 11/20/02, Townsend, Allen wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>As I consider ARLIS/NA Committee Appointments for 2003-04, I hope to hear
>from those of you who might be interested in serving on the following
>Society Committees. Standing Committees include:
>
>Cataloging Advisory Committee
>Development Committee
>Awards -(subcommittees to include:  Distinguished Service, Gerd Muehsam,
>George Wittenborn, Research, Travel) - Subject to Executive Board approval
>3/03.
>International Relations Committee
>Membership Committee
>Nominating Committee
>Professional Development Committee
>Public Policy Committee
>Publications Committee
>Standards Committee
>
>I would also like to hear from those who might be interested in serving on
>two new Society Task Forces which I propose to activate at the 2003
>Conference. Their work will be implemented over the next two years:
>
>Diversity Task Force - (A new group which will be appointed to study, survey
>and publish findings on diversity in the art information professions;
>Subject to approval of the Executive Board 3/03).
>Texas/Mexico Task Force - (This group will continue the work of an
>ARLIS/Texas-Mexico Chapter focus group, studying the feasibility of
>recruitment of new members from Mexico and compiling a written report of
>recommended actions for the Executive Board by March 2005; Subject to
>approval of the Executive Board 3/03).
>
>If you have questions about the charges of the groups listed above, please
>refer to the ARLIS/NA Handbook, the ARLIS/NA Website or feel free to contact
>me off list about the Task Forces.
>
>I look forward to hearing from many of you!
>
>Allen
>
>Allen K. Townsend
>Vice President/President-Elect, ARLIS/NA
>Arcadia Director of the Library
>Philadelphia Museum of Art
>PO Box 7646
>Benjamin Franklin Parkway
>Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101
>215 684 7651 (Voice)
>215 236 0534 (Fax)

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Librarian for Art, Archaeology and Architectural History
Collections Coordinator
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903

tele. 434-924-6604      [log in to unmask]