 From Nov. 7 to 10, 2002, the Southeast Chapter of ARLIS/NA (ARLIS/SE) met
for our annual conference in Asheville, North Carolina.  Special kudos go
out to Moira Steven and her planning committee for the fantastic job they
did putting this conference together.  We were fortunate there was a late
fall, and so we were treated to beautiful panoramic views of the mountains
covered in autumn leaves and exceptionally sunny weather.  Asheville is an
exciting little city which, despite its small population, has some
wonderful surprises in terms of art galleries and architectural wonders.

We visited the Biltmore Estate, the largest privately owned home in the US
(owned by the descendants of the Vanderbilt family), and had a unique
opportunity to visit their archives and have a special tour "behind the red
rope" of George Vanderbilt's private library of nearly 23,000 books.  We
also were given a guided tour of the historic arts & crafts style Grove
Park Inn, the Biltmore Industries arts and crafts workshops and galleries,
and historical walking tours of the city.  We were fortunate to have guest
speakers on the art world of Tryon, South Carolina by Frank Thomson and
issues related to archiving by Frank McCue.  Our own ARLIS members Lee
Sorensen (Duke), Sarah McCleskey (Clemson), and Rachel Kuhn (NCSU) also
gave excellent presentations on image databases being utilized at their
institutions.  We are extremely appreciative of the University of North
Carolina-Asheville Ramsey Library for the use of their facilities for our
speakers and for providing refreshments and hospitality while there.

At the end of our business meeting, we also presented our annual LoPresti
Awards for art book publishing in the South.  (A separate release on this
will follow soon.)  We held elections for our new officers and
appointed/reappointed individuals for special
appointments.  Congratulations to the following who will begin their new
roles in 2003!

Moira Steven, Atlanta College of Art = President (2003)
Sarah McCleskey, Clemson University = Vice President/President-Elect (2003)
Grace Reid, Birmingham Museum of Art = Secretary/Treasurer (2003-2004)
Roberto C. Ferrari, Florida Atlantic University = Past President (2003)

Pedro A. Figueredo, St. Thomas University = Webmaster (2003)
Sarah Legins, Clemson University = LoPresti Awards Chair (2003)
Ann Lindell, University of Florida = Listserv Moderator (2003)
Stephen Patrick, East Tennessee State University = Chapter Historian (2003)
Cary Wilkins, Morris Museum of Art = Newsletter Editor (2003)

Roberto C. Ferrari
President, ARLIS/SE
Florida Atlantic University Library
PHONE: 561-297-3575