ARLIS Colleagues,

A faculty member in Religious Studies at Brown University is
seeking the citation for a William Steig cartoon mentioned in
an article. It is not included in Cartoonbank.com, the obvious
online resource for New Yorker cartoons. The professor has also
had a student look for this cartoon in books at the library, but
with no success. Does anyone recall seeing this or have another
source to suggest?

Thanks,
Norine Duncan
Brown University

Geertz, in his famous essay that amounts to an extended definition of religion, reminds us that to be a religion the symbols of the culture must be employed to "formulate conceptions of a general order of existence," a "cosmic framework." He goes on:

That the symbols or symbol systems which induce and define dispositions we set off as religious and those which place those dispositions in a cosmic framework are the same symbols ought to occasion no surprise. For what else do we mean by saying that a particular mood of awe is religious and not secular, except that it springs from entertaining a conception of all-pervading vitality like mana and not from a visit to the Grand Canyon? …A man can indeed be said to be "religious" about golf, but not merely if he pursues it with passion and plays it on Sundays: he must also see it as symbolic of some transcendent truths. And the pubescent boy gazing soulfully into the eyes of the pubescent girl in a William Steig cartoon and murmuring, "There is something about you, Ethel, which gives me a sort of religious feeling," is, like most adolescents, confused. What any particular religion affirms about the fundamental nature of reality may be obscure, shallow, or, all too often, perverse; but it must, if it is not to consist of the mere collection of received practices and conventional sentiments we usually refer to as moralism, affirm something.
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]