Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/02 10:41:49 AM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
October 23, 2002

         Columbia University's National Arts Journalism Program Presents:
        "The New Gatekeepers: A Conference on Free Expression in the Arts"
       Nov. 20-21, 2003: Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
              http://www.najp.org/conferences/gatekeepers/panels.htm

A broad and wide-sweeping conference, in which the issues of
particular interest to those on this list, online copyright and the
reconciliation of interests of  the commons and the marketplace, are
addressed on the second day.

David Green
===========

>From: "Rebecca McKenna" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: NAJP's Free Expression & the Arts conference
>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:26:02 -0400

NATIONAL ARTS JOURNALISM PROGRAM TO HOST NOV. 20-21 CONFERENCE ON ISSUES OF
FREE EXPRESSION IN THE ARTS

Disputes about free expression in the arts have always loomed as struggles
between creativity and repression, transgression and outrage, candor and
hypocrisy. From "Lady Chatterley's Lover" to Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ,"
the sequence has been predictable: Scandalized citizens, religious leaders
or politicians fire an opening salvo of protest or funding cuts. Then
artists, invoking the muses and the First Amendment, fire back, accusing
their accusers of obtuseness and mindless censorship. While high-profile
shootouts at art museums and less visible skirmishes at libraries and
theaters persist, overt censorship is no longer the only, or the most dire,
threat to free expression. The current terrain bears little resemblance to
the "culture war" battlegrounds of a decade ago, much less to what the First
Amendment's framers could have imagined.

The NAJP will address this ever-shifting terrain in "The New Gatekeepers: A
Conference on Free Expression in the Arts," Nov. 20 and 21 at the Columbia
University Graduate School of Journalism. The conference will bring together
a cross-disciplinary group of participants -- artists, technologists, media
executives, lawmakers, museum curators, theater producers, legal experts,
government regulators, free-speech advocates, and of course journalists --
to explore the shifting frontiers of free-expression in the arts and search
for workable solutions for the future.
http://www.najp.org/conferences/gatekeepers/panels.htm

Speakers Include:
Cass Sunstein, professor of law, University of Chicago
Rochelle Gurstein, author, "The Repeal of Reticence"
Marjorie Heins, author and director, Free Expression Policy Project
Louis Menand, author, "The Metaphysical Club"; and professor,
Graduate Center, City University of New York
Amy Adler, professor of law, Columbia University;
Carol Becker, dean, School of the Art Institute of Chicago;
Breck Rice, founder and chief operating officer, MovieMask
Peggy Ahwesh, media artist and filmmaker;
Max Anderson, director, Whitney Museum and president, Association of
Art Museum Directors;
Roberto Bedoya, arts consultant;
Marian Godfrey, director, Culture Programs, The Pew Charitable
Trusts; Saralyn Reece Hardy, director/curator, Salina Art Center and
Cinema; Timothy McClimon, executive director, AT&T Foundation
Neal Gabler, journalist;
Douglas Rushkoff, journalist;
Jennifer Toomey, musician and executive director, Future of Music Coalition
Charles Mann, contributing editor, The Atlantic Monthly;
Richard Masur, actor and former president, Screen Actors Guild;
Gigi Sohn, president, Public Knowledge;
Siva Vaidhyanathan, author and assistant professor, New York University
Allan Adler, vice president for government and legal affairs,
American Association of Booksellers;
Barbara Hoffman, art lawyer;
Beryl Howell, senior counselor to the chairman, Senate Judiciary
Committee; Wendy Seltzer, founder, The Chilling Effects
Clearinghouse, Harvard University
Paul DiMaggio, director of cultural policy studies, Princeton
University; Cathleen McGuigan, senior cultural affairs editor,
Newsweek;
David Resnicow, president and founder, Resnicow Schroeder Associates;
Danyel Smith, author and former editor in chief, Vibe

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.