Since there has been some discussion of the art library/vr professions in recent days, I thought LIST-ers would be interested in this:  a group of students in our SILS (one of the major US programs) is organizing a student organization (Art and Museum Library and Information Student Society.)  There may be as many as 20 students.  They are not only organizing the group, but also a panel on art and vr librarianship, at which local professionals will speak.  I'm rather amazed by their enterprise and interest, given the low pay art librarians can expect, but perhaps they, as I did, are going into the profession for the love of art and as a means to a viable profession that does not require the PhD.  One thing I will try to communicate to them is the breadth of knowledge art librarianship requires: language facility, understanding of preservation concepts/ rare books, teaching skills, knowledge of related disciplines, and, above all, a solid grounding in art history, preferably an M.A.  This may be old news to them but perhaps not.

Do any other universities with SILS programs have student interest groups?

Patricia T. Thompson
Art Librarian
Sloane Art Library
CB# 3405 Hanes Art Center