Edith,
This information is fron the Brooklyn International Film Festival Films 2002 site
www.wbff.org/films/detail.asp?cid=3&fid=174
Kathy Evans
Purdue University

RIVERS AND TIDES
                                     (Fluss der Zeit)

East Coast Premiere

                                     Director: Thomas Riedelsheimer
                                     Germany/Scotland, 2001, 90min
                                     Format: 35mm (screening) - Super 16
(shooting)
                                     Festival Edition: 2002

all 2002 films
                                     Category: Documentary

all Documentary films

                                      Winner  Best Producer - 2002

                                     Cast:
                                          Andy Goldsworthy
                                     Crew:
                                          Producer: Annedore von Donop,
Mediopolis, Berlin - Co-producers: Trevor Davies, Leslie
                                          Hills, Skyline, Edinburgh -
Screenwriter, Editor, Cinematographer: Thomas Riedelsheimer -
                                          Sound: Fred Frith
                                     Sales:
                                          Germany: Sonja Kirch c/o Mediopolis
GmbH, Bülowstr.66, 10783 Berlin, Germany - T:
                                          0049-30-235560-0 - F: 0049-30-235560-66
- WORLD SALES: Julian Curtis, Ros Ali,
                                          Electric Sky, Friese Greene House,
15-17 Middle Street, Brighton BN1 1AL, UK.
                                     Email:
                                     Web:
                                          www.electricsky.com

                                     Synopsis
                                     “The river, the sea made solid. And stone
made liquid. Then you see something you
                                     never saw before; that was always there but
you were blind to it.” Landscape
                                     sculptor Andy Goldsworthy is renowned
throughout the world for his work in ice,
                                     stone, leaves, wood. Some of his works stand
and remain in the landscape; others
                                     decay, melt, or are blown away. His own
remarkable still photographs are
                                     Goldsworthy’s way of talking about his often
ephemeral works, of fixing them in
                                     time. Many find places in the exquisite and
best-selling books that have been the
                                     bases of his wide popularity. Now with this
deeply moving film, shot in four
                                     countries and across four seasons on Super
16mm, and the first major film he has
                                     allowed to be made, the elusive element of
time adheres to his sculpture.

                                     Biography
                                     Born in Germany 1963. Studied 1984 - 1992 at
filmschool in Munich. Since 1986
                                     freelanced filmmaker, cameraman, cutter,
working in Germany and around the
                                     world (e.g. Somalia, Nepal, Tibet,
Southafrika, Tansania, Newsealand, Latvia,
                                     Russia, Japan). Camera-classes at Munich
filmschool HFF. Camerawork with 35
                                     and 16 mm and all videoformats.

                                     Filmmaker's note
                                     Director Thomas Riedelsheimer worked with
Andy Goldsworthy for over a year to
                                     shoot this film. What Riedelsheimer found
was a profound sense of breathless
                                     discovery and uncertainty in Goldsworthy’s
work, in contrast to the stability of
                                     conventional sculpture. There is risk in
everything that Goldsworthy does. He takes
                                     his fragile work - and it can be as fragile
in stone as in ice or twigs - right to the
                                     edge of its collapse, a very beautiful
balance and a very dramatic edge within the
                                     film. The film captures the essential
unpredictability of working with rivers and with
                                     tides, feels into a sense of liquidity in
stone, travels with Goldsworthy underneath
                                     the skin of the earth and reveals colour and
energy flowing through all things.
                                     Riedelsheimer’s film, like Goldsworthy’s
sculpture, grows into something beyond
                                     the simple making of an object. It touches
the heart of what Goldsworthy does and
                                     who he is, in much the same way that
Goldworthy touches the heart of a place
                                     when he works in it and leaves his mark on
it. In this film, which is Goldworthy’s
                                     work as much as Riedelsheimer’s, "you see
something you never saw before; that
                                     was always there but you were blind to".

                                     Filmography
                                     - Rivers And Tides

                                     Festivals
                                     San Francisco International, Turin,