Hi All,

From an Australian perspective.

CATALOGUING
I am assessing "who is using what?" schema to catalogue images for a report
here at Griffith.  My brief for a report is to find the most used now, but
I tend also to be going for the one everyone envisages that will most
facilitate future record sharing.

I'd particularly like to know what my Australian friends are doing too!!
Please reply personally or if others are interested to the list. I already
think Domenica at La Trobe has gone to Core VRA, ......please correct me if
I'm wrong Domenica!

What are you using/ planning to use -
1. VRA Core Record for Images
2. Other - please describe?

If I'm reinventing the wheel here and these stats have already been
surveyed by someone else, please let me know too! I'd love to cut down my
workload.

NB Artstor:
I realise ArtStor has just put out a memo, and so will also contact them.
If anyone has any comments on Artstor, please don't hold back with advice.
I thought they were using the Core?

COPYRIGHT
I'd love to know also for this report how people in image libraries in
Australia are approaching the digital question and copyright? My latest
info is that one can scan from print, if no digital available, but strict
record keeping must take place, and CAL will inspect in 2002, and make up
their minds about a fee per image cost / anywhere between $2 - $8 per
image.  (There's a compromise here already on image quality, ....... but
there seems no choice in the matter). You cannot change the format of a
slide without permission from/paying licensing rights to  -  a supplier? -
but this is a grey area, as one copyright expert here maintains if it is
not "available in digital format" then one has the right to scan for
eductional purposes ( very touchy area indeed!). Need to check your views!

I can envisage us going ahead in this sphere to meet Australian art image
material demands now that tragically Contemporary Art Resource Slides has
gone out of business ( our best access to Australian triennials and
biennales). Has anyone heard anything more about this supplier?

Please just tell me about your approaches!

Thanks
Jennifer

,.-:*'``'*:-. ,.-:*'``'*:-. ,.-:*'``'*:-.
Keeping you informed.
JenniferBrasher
Image Librarian
RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT & ACCESS SERVICES: ARTS TEAM
Queensland College of Art Library
Griffith University Library: Information Services
PO Box 3370, 226 Grey Street, South Bank, 4101, Australia
Ph. (07)387 53136, Fax (07)3875 1333,
Email: [log in to unmask]

Chair: Qld Chapter : ARLIS/ANZ
Art Libraries Society Australia and New Zealand

Sometimes it is more important to discover what one cannot do, than what
one can do
Lin Yutang