Dear Margaret, Lucie, and All,

I'm just leaving for vacation, but will mention a few sources and try to
compile something better when I return.  In fact it is not easy tracking
Greek catalogues, either for books or exhibitions, even for libraries
located in Greece.

Since Margaret's message refers to current exhibition catalogues as well as
ancient studies material, I'm not sure whether it's the contemporary
gallery scene or exhibitions of antiquities, or classics/archaeology books
being sought, but here are a few sources and vendors our library relies
on.  There is much more on the Web than in print.

Eleftheroudakis bookstore is the most automated, well-stocked operation in
town.  www.books.gr

Papadimas bookstore issues annual catalogues of current and op books.  They
are developing a website at www.papadimasbooks.gr.  Meanwhile, 8
Ippokratous Street, 106 79 Athens, fax. 003 010 3610271.

Kardamitsa bookstore issues occasional topical catalogues (they, like
Papadimas are also a publishing house).  No website.  Address, also 8
Ippokratous Street, 106 76 Athens, fax. 003 010 36 31 100.

The best supplier for esoteric and out-of-print books on ancient history,
art, literature, archaeology is Andromeda Books, Mr. George Theodorou,
Mavromichali 46-50, 106 80 Athens; fax 003 010 3390469; e-mail
[log in to unmask]  Alas, he issues no catalogues, has no published
inventory, just piles and piles of wonderful books on the ancient world.

Caratzas/Melissa publications also has a good website and electronic
newsletter. www.cartzas.com.

The Greek Ministry of Culture website (www.culture.gr) has links to Modern
and Contemporary Cultural Creations and The National Center of the Book
(the latter will require Greek fonts and keyboards installed, but they are
working on an English version).

There are two Greek search engines, www.in.gr, and roBBy-The Hellenic
Search Engine, www.robby.gr, with links to art and culture ('technes kai
politismos'), exhibitions, books, etc.

A weekly publication in Greek, 'Athinorama,' now has a good website at
www.athinorama.gr presenting the current scene and publications from
galleries and museums.

It's a pretty random process, although there are initiatives underway to
consolidate more of this information for efficient dissemination.

For Turkey, we use Isis books, Mr. Sinan Kuneralp, Semsibey Sokak 10, 81210
Beylerbeyi, Istanbul; fax 90 21632 18666; e-mail [log in to unmask]

The Cornucopia Magazine website links to an Arts Diary, and to notices of
many publications from or about Turkey.  www.cornucopia.net.

I hope these are helpful, and I would be happy to try to supply answers to
any other questions on collection development/bibliography as related to
Greece/Turkey.

Best wishes,

Phyllis

Phyllis Graham
Assistant Librarian
Blegen Library
American School of Classical Studies
54 Souidias Street
GR 106 76 Athens, GREECE

tel. +3 010 723-6313; fax +3 010 729-4047/ 725-0584
e-mail: [log in to unmask]