Hello Liv,
Your questions are certainly pertinent here at UVA. We've been discussing
this issue for some time and I would also like to hear what other art and
architecture libraries are thinking about this issue.
See below for a (very) little information on what we have been doing.

At 03:31 PM 9/16/2002 -0500, valmestad liv wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Our Head Librarian, Mary Lochhead wondered if I could post the following
>questions on her behalf, and if there are any suggestions please post to
>the list or email Mary at:

>Has  there been any discussion on the ARLIS listserv about
>cancelling print journals and keeping electronic?  Have librarians talked
>about strategies they used to keep print (e.g. convincing the people with
>the money).

We have a vocal community of users here and many of them prefer the print
versions of journals to electronic primarily because of image
quality.  I've done some investigation comparing print vs. electronic
versions.  Basically, I've found that some publishers do not include images
with their full text; the quality of the images varies considerably and one
cannot assume that reliably usable images will accompany full text.

>  Do they feel keeping print is more important than electronic.  Have they
> had feedback from users on having to use electronic?

Yes, we do get feedback regarding the few cases in which we've changed from
print to electronic.  The complaint has consistently been the images - lack
of quality.

>Has anyone done a comparison of print and electronic "equivalents" to find
>out if they truly are equivalent.

I have not done a true comparison, but have investigated some full text
vendors too if electronic really is equivalent.  Sometimes they are,
sometimes not.  Project Muse is the closest to equivalent that we have seen
here, but then we receive only one electronic journal in the arts via
Project Muse.

>If there hasn't been much discussion do you think it would be worth
>sending out a question to the list?  There seems to be a push to cancel
>print for electronic (as per the Collections Committee minutes) and I
>would like to show how other art/arch libraries have handled this issue.

As I said above, I would like to hear from others on this topic.  Thank you
for bringing this up!
Ann Whiteside

>thanks,
>
>Liv
>

>Liv Valmestad, Reference Librarian (Information Detective)
>Architecture/Fine Arts Library University of Manitoba TEL: 204 474 8447
>FAX: 204 474 7539 [log in to unmask]

Ann Whiteside
Director, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
Past President, Visual Resources Association
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
434-924-6601
FAX: 434-982-2678