Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 7/30/02 4:04:25 PM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
July 30, 2002

                 ACLU Sues to overturn key portions of DMCA
        http://news.com.com/2100-1023-946266.html?tag=3Dfd_lede
               http://www.aclu.org/news/2002/n072502a.html

                                 *   *   *

        Provisional Date Set for Eldred v. Ashcroft: October 9, 2002
                http://www.supremecourtus.gov/index.html

>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:54:54 +0200
>From: amalyah keshet <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: IP SIG: ACLU attempts to overturn key portions of DMCA
>To: [log in to unmask]

By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
July 25, 2002, 9:00 AM PT

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit on Thursday in an
attempt to overturn key portions of a controversial 1998 copyright law.
The suit asks a federal judge to rule that the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act (DMCA) is so sweeping that it unconstitutionally interferes with
researchers' ability to evaluate the effectiveness of Internet filtering
software.

By suing on behalf of a 22-year-old programmer who's researching the
oft-buggy products, the civil liberties group hopes to prompt the first
ruling that would curtail the DMCA's wide reach.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-946266.html?tag=3Dfd_lede

        Provisional Date Set for Eldred v. Reno: October 9, 2002
                http://www.supremecourtus.gov/index.html

The Supreme Court calendar indicates that the hearing over the
constitutionality of the Copyright Term Extension Act will take place
October 9, 2002.

David Green
===========

>Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:04:37 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Eldred v. Ashcroft on Oct. 9, 2002
>

>I thought that some of you may be interested to know that
>Eldred v. Ashcroft will have an argument before the Supreme
>Court on October 9, 2002.  See:
>

>http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/22july20021430/www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_arguments/argument_calendars/monthlyargumentcaloctober2002.pdf
>
>(Or, go to http://www.supremecourtus.gov/index.html, click on "Oral
>Arguments", click on "Argument Calendars", click on "Session Beginning
>October 7, 2002".)
>
><<SNIP>>
>

>Joseph Pietro Riolo

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.