The Library of Congress has now enabled searching of its name and
subject authority files, starting July 1st on a trial basis. The
address is http://authorities.loc.gov (there is a link from the main LC
catalog page, and vice versa).

You can search subjects, names, titles, and name/titles. The authority
records are not linked to the bibliographic records so you cannot move
from the heading to the related bibliographic records. The results of
your search include all headings though only those with an authority
record can be displayed in the authorities search. You can email (text
only) the results of your search.

There is quite a bit of Help text.

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries

p.s. I have begun working on my notes from the recent ALA conference
and will post them when I'm done. In the meantime, Liz O'Keefe and Anne
Champagne have written up their notes on MARBI and CC:DA respectively
and I have them posted at http://www.artcataloging.net/alagen.html