exciting news for those following this bill.
The full article from The Chronicle is included at the bottom of the
announcement.

James Mitchell

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
July 18, 2002

             TEACH Act Approved by House Judiciary Committee
            Technology Harmonization and Education Act (S 487)
                      Seems Assured of Final Passage
                  Chronicle of Higher Education Report:
             http://chronicle.com/free/2002/07/2002071801t.htm

           See also: http://www.oit.umd.edu/pp/relations/teach/

Yesterday, the House Judiciary Committee unanimously approved the
Technology Harmonization and Education Act (the TEACH Act) (S 487) -
for text see: <http://thomas.loc.gov/>.

This Bill is the result of efforts to implement the recommendations
of a 1999 Copyright Study on how to update the Copyright Act to
fulfill the just and legal needs of distance education in a digital
world. The study, "Report on Copyright and Digital Distance
Education," is available at:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/docs/de_rprt.pdf. A good resource on
this legislation is available at the University of Maryland Office of
Information Technology's web site:
http://www.oit.umd.edu/pp/relations/teach/

David Green
===========

>>Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: House Committee Votes to Ease Copyright Restrictions on Distance
>>  Education

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.