Greetings,

In preparation for an article on artists files, my colleague and I are
conducting a brief, informal survey on the topic.  We would be grateful if
you could take a moment and respond to the survey.  Please reply off-list
directly to me at [log in to unmask]

Artists Files in Art Libraries

1) Does your library have artists files?

1a) If yes, do you actively maintain your artists files?
1b) If yes, who does this work?  (check all that apply)

_____student employees
_____support staff
_____professional staff/librarian
_____volunteer
_____other (please describe)

2) What do your artists files contain? (check all that apply)

____newspaper clippings
____pamphlets
____images
____exhibition catalogues
____other (please describe)

2a) What kind of artists are represented in your files?  (check all that
apply)

_____local
_____regional
_____national
_____international

3) Where are materials housed?

_____within the library's' vertical file
_____separately, in their own file
_____within the library's archives
_____other (please describe)

4)  Does your library have finding aides for the artists files?

4a) If yes, please check what type(s) of aides are available:

____in-house (card catalog, printed guide, pamphlet)
____online access via OPAC
____database via Web site
____none (librarian referral only)
____other (please describe)

5) Do you have plans for improved access to your institution's artists
files?  This includes developing new finding aides, cataloguing the files,
digitization, etc.

5a) If yes, please briefly describe your plan

6)  How would you describe the usage level of your artists files overall?
(including staff and patron usage)

_____very frequent
_____often
_____occasionally
_____seldom to never

7)  As a research tool, what is the importance of your artists files?

_____very important
_____moderately important
_____not very important
_____not important

8) Comments:

Thank you - we appreciate your time and willingness to share information.

Terrie L. Wilson
Michigan State University

Erika Dowell
Indiana University