Liz--
         Hi!  Thanks for all your diligent work in helping
keep MARC dynamic and responsive to librarians' needs!

         The 506/540 subfield $u addition sounds good.  A key
part of the proposal is that the subfield can't stand alone
as an unintelligible URL, but that it must be preceded by
some explanatory text.

         I can't comment on the 026 field for fingerprints,
but I think it's always important to keep rare book
cataloguers happy.     :-)

         A resounding *yes* for the 563!  For some books,
the binding is more important than the publication
itself, and in some libraries, the description of the
binding is the only way to find the book.  (I happen to
think that binding info is relevant beyond the special
collections realm -- how many reference librarians have
had requests like "I want that big, bright green book
on gardening," or "I'd like to put a hold on the nice
copy of _A Christmas Carol_ that's red with little gold
holly leaves on the spine"?)  I would even expand the
field with a subfield for dust jackets, something like:

563 ## $aBlue cloth binding ; $?red, white and blue
American flag motif dust jacket.$5Uk

The proposal doesn't state the sequence that this field
would fall into in the hierarchy of 5XX notes.  It seems
almost like an extension of collation information.  Say,
maybe instead of a separate field, the binding should be
a subfield in the 300 Physical Description....

         Discussion Paper 2002-DP08 on expression-level
collocation proves that library science *is* a science.
Please let us know if the discussions in Atlanta cause
this truly "weighty issue" to move from the lofty heights
of philosophy and semantics into the real world of MARC
fields and authorities records!

--K.A. Bayruns