Dear all,

Here's a message I was forwarded that I thought might be of interest to the
greater ARLIS network.  Enjoy.

Daniel
Forwarded From: Ann Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
 > The following announcement is not directly related to licensing issues, but
 > might still be of interest to readers of liblicense-l.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Stephen M. Griffin, National Science Foundation
 > Donald Waters, The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
 >
 > --------------------------------
 >
 > On November 19-20, 2001, the National Science Foundation, The Andrew W.
 > Mellon Foundation, and the Harvard University Art Museums jointly
 > sponsored an invitational workshop on Digital Imagery for Works of Art.
 > This workshop was organized by Kevin Kiernan (University of Kentucky),
 > Charles Rhyne (Reed College), and Ron Spronk (Harvard University), and was
 > designed to bring together computer and imaging scientists who have been
 > active in digital imagery research with a particular group of end users,
 > namely research scholars in the visual arts, including art and
 > architecture historians, art curators, conservators, and scholars and
 > practitioners in closely related disciplines.
 >
 > The specific purpose of the meeting was to explore how the research and
 > development agenda of computing, information and imaging scientists might
 > more usefully serve the research needs of research scholars in the visual
 > arts. At the same time, participants looked for opportunities where
 > applications in the art history domain might inform and push information
 > technology research in new and useful directions.
 >
 > The final report of the workshop is now available at
 > http://www.dli2.nsf.gov/mellon/report.html. This Web page contains a copy
 > of the report in HTML and a link to a printable version in Adobe Acrobat
 > format. This Web page also contains a link to a comment form. The
 > organizers and sponsors would very much welcome comments and other
 > feedback from readers of the report. Of particular interest would be
 > links to ongoing efforts in the various areas emphasized in the report, as
 > well as pointers to resources (collections, tools, etc.) that may be
 > useful for future collaborative work.

Daniel Payne, BEd, MA (Musicology), MLIS
Humanities Reference Librarian
James A. Gibson Library                 tel. 905.688.5550 x. 3234
Brock University                        fax. 905.988.5490
St. Catharines ON                       [log in to unmask]