From: Visual Resources Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Laura Paris
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ideal temperature and humidity?

For environmental controls, check out the book: Facilities Standards
for Art Libraries and Visual Resources Collections, Art Libraries
Society of North America,  Edited by Betty Jo Irvine. There are also
sections on consultants and architects. Another book that is very
valuable for me is Management for Visual Resources Collections, 2nd
ed. by Nancy Shelby Schuller.

Both books deal with planning and organizing space, and many other
issues unique to special collections. And because the information
comes from a printed source and not your mouth, it holds more
credence. I alarmed the Dean, my boss, with statistics about the size
of my collection and staffing, and he is going to try to do something
about it (don't know what, but it's a start).

I can't say enough about these two books and how much they have
helped in the general planning and managing of my VR collection.

If they're not in your library, try contacting ARLIS for ordering
information.

Good Luck,
Laura Paris
Curator of Visual Resources