From: swalker5 [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] I found a virus you might have!!! (fwd)

Good afternoon,
I received the following message from a colleague here on campus. As a
precaution, I am sending this message to you. I have sent a message to our
campus virus guru to determine what he knows about this. Some of you might
receive more than one copy of this message if you are on more than one
distribution list in my address book. I hope it is a hoax, but just in
case, it is a true virus problem, here is the information.
Sandy Walker

     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: I found a virus you might have!!!

The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus
systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It's
sent automatically by the messenger and by the Address Book, whether or not
you sent emails to your contacts. I have checked, found it, and deleted it.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it, it took me less
than 30 seconds:

DO THIS:

1. Go to Start; Find or Search option.

> 2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
>
> 3. Be sure you search your C: drive
>
> 4. Click "find now"
>
> 5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
IT

> 6. RIGHT CLICK on the icon and delete it. It will then go to the Recycle
> Bin
>
> 7. Got to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
>
> IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK
> SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS BEFORE THE VIRUS
STARTS
> DAMAGING THEIR COMPUTER.
>
> apologies again,

Ann M. Callahan  MSSW, LCSW